When Eric goes out of town or is away for the night, I make easy, simple meals. A salad. Leftover chicken. A bowl of popcorn (a perfectly acceptable meal, by the way). And this cauliflower steak. This meal ( also a great side dish) takes less than 10 minutes to make and is delicious and healthy.
The males in my family are not as keen on cauliflower as the females for some reason. I am blaming the raw vegetable platters that people bring to parties. Who likes raw cauliflower and broccoli? No one! They are bitter and a bit chalky. The carrots and peppers are long gone off the tray but the broccoli and cauliflower sit there looking rather pathetic. At least give those cruciferous vegetables a light steam before putting them on the platter.
If you are in the I hate cauliflower camp and you are still reading this post, I encourage you to give it another chance. Pan fried in coconut oil and sea salt with a pinch of orange zest gives cauliflower a whole new look and taste. One of the two males in my family moved camps.
Besides it tasting yummy, your get a lot of health benefits.
Here are some of them:
1. Cauliflower is very high in vitamin C
2. It’s a great source of antioxidants which helps lower our risk for cancer
3. It is packed with fiber which is great for digestion.
4. Did I mention that this is super QUICK, EASY and YUMMY?
Note: Half this recipe if you are making it for one person, as a meal.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- pinch or two of sea salt
- zest of 1 orange
- parsley, chopped (for garnish)
1. Peel leaves off of cauliflower and cut into 3/4 inch slices.
2. In a cast iron pan over medium heat, melt 1 tbs coconut oil
3. Place 3 (or however many fit) cauliflower steaks onto the hot pan and sprinkle each steak with a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until crisp and lightly browned. Remove from heat and sprinkle with orange zest and parsley.
4. Repeat with remaining oil and cauliflower steaks.